Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Wuming Farm- best day yet!

After a long night of traveling, we all woke up feeling refreshed after getting some sleep on our concrete slab beds. We checked out of our hotel and drove to a farming village outside of Nanning. The views were amazing as we drove!! We can't wait to share the photos. We had the pleasure of touring a local woman's small farm which grew a variety of crops-primarily Lychees but the class also enjoyed seeing many other items such as Chinese pears, corn and citrus. The fresh Lychees were delicious. All land and farms are owned by the government in China. In a recent change though, each farm household can lease a certain percentage of the land back. This particular woman leases about 3.5 acress and has a total income of around 10,000 Chinese yuan per year. We learned that her husband passed away last year and she took over the operation. We also got to tour her home and meet her father in law and her son. Overall, I heard a lot of people say it was their favorite experience yet and the best day of our trip. Such experiences also make us feel even more blessed with our lives back home. -Annie.

1 comment:

Janice Barner said...

Annie and Erin - Thank you both so much for keeping us in the loop back home with all your photos. It truly helps to put into perspective what you all are seeing and doing. Accessing the blog is the first thing I do when I get to work in the morning and the last thing I do before retiring to bed. Sorry about the hotel in Nanning. I had NOTHING to do with it. I promise. Oh guys, btw.....I don't want to brag too much, but the Lakers are the new NBA Champs!!!!!!!!