Sunday, June 14, 2009

One Week Left!

We are enjoying our second and last morning in Xi'an. While not the international city like Beijing, it certainly is more comfortable then Shanghai. Today we are going to an Agricultural University to meet with students, then headed to a dairy group (a cooperative), then going to the airport for an evening flight down to Nanning. While this is our final week on the road, I think it will be our busiest.

The group is doing well. I think homesickness is beginning to set in-I hear a lot of talk of home, spouses, kids, dogs and what the first meal is that people want when they get back.

Xi'an is one of the oldest cities in China. We've been privileged to see a great deal of its history. From the wall that surrounds the city (built by the Emperor to keep the Mongols out), to the Large Goose Pagoda (a Buddhist temple, one of the oldest in China), to the Terra Cotta soldiers. The Terra Cotta soldiers were amazing. Though I worry what this program and this trip has done to the group, I think it's made them a bunch of cynics as I heard many people question the authenticity of the site, the soldiers and the history behind them. No matter, it was still a really nice afternoon walking around the three pits and learning again how good it was to be an Emperor and command 700,000+ people to do your bidding.

Last night we enjoyed a traditional dumpling dinner and Chinese folk dance performance. For as much apprehensions there were about the food here, I do not think people are going hungry. Many said last night's meal was the best so far...20 different dumplings were served, each unique in their filling. The dance was pretty amazing too. Beautiful costumes and an interesting was to learn some Chinese history.

The weather has turned "Florida hot"...yesterday was the worst so far, but I think it's going to get increasingly warmer the further south we go. We have two more days in China, then three in Vietnam, then we end the trip in Hong Kong. We are on the downhill slide and I know some are counting the hours and days until next Monday and being home.

We haven't had a chance to catch much news from home, so I hope everything is well in the states and in Florida. I know everyone is hoping that the Magic pull off some magic tonight and that the series doesn't end.

Since we'll be traveling pretty hard the next few days and we'll be a different hotels each night, I'm not sure how much I'll be able to post. I'll try my best.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I am thrilled to have access to your blog and see all the wonders your group have visited. I am equally as happy my daughter has been given the opportunity to be apart of this. God Bless and safe travel.
Tammy Griffiths