Sunday, June 14, 2009

Terra cotta soldiers

We just finished touring the famous army of terra cotta soldiers in Xi'an. There were three "pits" which had been excavated and each showed a different stage in the restoration process. My favorite was the first pit which had the rows and rows of soldiers. I've tried to take some pictures but it is hard to translate how cool it was in person. In line with our other experiences, there are TONS of people here and vendors follow us into the pits and exhibition halls trying to get us to buy knicknacks--I couldn't imagine going into the Smithsonian or any museum in the US and having someone follow me around to buy postcards, etc as I am trying to enjoy the culture and exhibitions!!! -Annie

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amazing stuff. You didn't see any toothpick holders that looked like the soldiers, I don't suppose?

sandi said...

Lisa and friends,I can tell by the pictures what a breathtaking sight that is. Our friend Cindy, who leaves for China the 18th, must be getting quite hyper by now. What a thrill.Hate to say this, but vendors following you around reminds me of the Dominican Republic. If they don't have toothpick holders, maybe they'll have salt and pepper shakers.