Sunday, June 7, 2009

Our First Full Week in China

Good morning! Or good night...it's still a very strange feeling knowing that we are starting our day when the folks back home are ending theirs. It's Monday morning and the group is in good spirits--then again, with quite a nice breakfast buffet it's hard not to be pretty happy in the morning. Everyone is smiling and ready to take on the day and the 12 hour overnight train ride to Beijing tonight. If nothing else, it will make for some great stories to tell!

An update on the blog--I'm posting through people back home. I send the "blurb" via email and then they will put it up on the blog. It's not the greatest system, but at least it gives you something to read and follow along. Because of the computer situation, etc. we probably won't be posting pictures. We will try, but the computer connections on this end (in China) are slow and unreliable to say the least. Bear with us, we'll keep trying!

A couple of random thoughts on China. It's overwhelming. I asked a couple of people last night, as we were on a boat in the evening taking in the Shanghai skyline via the water, what their "take away" from Day 1 was...most could not answer as it's just so much to absorb. The people, the chaos, the pace, the growth...China is a phenomena.

During our first full day, we had two large Chinese meals for lunch and dinner. I don't think anyone went away hungry and I think most were relieved that everything (for the most part) was identifiable. I'm sure we'll all be out of our comfort zones at some point, but so far, the food has been enjoyable. I still can't believe the number of people who smoke...they are everywhere, at meals, in lines, everywhere. It's hard to get used to.

Though I won't say who did the purchasing, several people back home will be pleased to get their nice shiny new Rolexes...yes, several have been purchased so far and all are guaranteed to be real.

Today we are visiting a couple of agricultural areas and seeing more of the Shanghai countryside. It may be a couple of days before I'm able to get something up on the blog--thank you for your patience!

Happy Monday!

4 comments:

Mick Lochridge said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mick Lochridge said...

(CNN) -- New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin and his wife have been quarantined in Shanghai after possible exposure to the swine flu virus on the flight to China, his office said Sunday.
Ceeon Quiett, the mayor's director of communications, told CNN that Nagin had been sitting beside a passenger who "exhibited the symptoms of H1N1," but Nagin showed no signs of illness.
Nagin, his wife and a member of his security detail have been quarantined though all three are symptom free, the statement said.

Nowell said...

Armando's luggage was delivered at the 11th hour. Yay!

Janice Barner said...

Nowell, it appears you are able to post to the blog now. Are we ok?