It's Friday afternoon in Beijing. The "Beijingers" (that's what they call themselves) told us when we arrived that Beijing only gets 20 days of sunshine a year...we are on day 4 of our trip. The weather is absolutely gorgeous, clear blue sky and probably in the high 80s.
Everyone has scattered and are enjoying their one afternoon of free time during this trip. Since it is "a leadership program, not a vacation", I have given Class VII even less free time then previous classes...in their case, they get this afternoon, one night in Hanoi and one day in Hong Kong--there is just too much to see and do in China. Beijing is truly an amazing city. I know it may have a lot to do with the Olympics just being here, but it's clean, beautiful and historic. If you ever get a chance to visit, you should.
I hear that many people back home are enjoying the pictures and posts. Thank goodness for Blackberries as they have allowed us (along with folks back home posting these messages), to thwart not being able to access the blog here in China. I'm so appreciative of people stepping up and posting photos from their Blackberries as I know how much people like to see pictures. We'll post more when we get home as we have some wonderful group shots.
Yesterday was the highlight of the trip thus far for many people as the Great Wall was incredible. To have a chance to climb the wall, look down and think about what it took to build it is mind boggling. We also learned that maybe we are not in the best shape as it took a lot out of you to climb, though several folks went to the very top point that visitors were allowed. Last night I think everyone had the best night's sleep of the trip, just because we were all so tired.
From the Wall we went to the Sacred Walk...the entrance to the Ming Tombs. While you can't see or go into the tombs, the Walk was impressive in itself as there are stone statues that are over 500 years old guarding each tomb. Again, the history in this country is amazing.
Last night after dinner we went to a Chinese acrobatic show. I was worried that people may fall asleep in their chairs after the long day we had, but there was no chance at that as the skill of these acrobats left my mouth open at times. People quieted down about being sore from their hike after watching these performers bend, jump, juggle and balance.
This morning we went to a planned farming community of sorts. It is a farmers' "village", but we don't think we got the whole story (or the truth) about it. As several members of the class mentioned as they got on the bus, we've become jaded. Every thing you hear, you have to take with a grain of salt as it's what they want you to hear and you know you're not getting the whole story. It's a very weird feeling.
Tomorrow we leave Beijing for Xi'an. It will be hard to leave this city as we've had an enjoyable time here and have learned so much. I don't know when the next time will be I can post a long message to the blog, but I will make every attempt to do so when I'm able.
I hope all is well in Florida! We are at the point of the trip where everyone is longing for home...only 10 days left!
1 comment:
thanks for the posts, hannah.
Post a Comment