Instead of innudating your inbox, I'm going to instead post information about our October trip here. Let's embrace all the technology that's available to us!
The agenda is coming together. It is my hope to have your packets mailed out towards the middle of next week. I did want to give you the following in case you needed a book to read on the plane or while we are on the bus! Here is a bit of a reading list in support of our trip (with the amazon.com link):
Beyond Tiananmen: The Politics of US-China Relations 1989-2000 by Robert Suettinger http://www.amazon.com/Beyond-Tiananmen-Politics-U-S-China-Relations/dp/0815782063/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1221750569&sr=1-1
The Life and Times of the Gun Powder Kid by Bill Bryson (recommended by the IA Ag L'ship Program Leader as a fun account of growing up in Iowa)
http://www.amazon.com/Life-Times-Thunderbolt-Kid-Memoir/dp/076791936X/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1221750730&sr=1-2
Little Heathens: Hard Times and High Spirits on an Iowa Farm During the Great Depression by Mildred Armstrong Kalish
http://www.amazon.com/Little-Heathens-Spirits-During-Depression/dp/0553384244/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1221750822&sr=1-1
If this is your first trip to Washington, DC, I strongly encourage you to do a little research before our trip so you can make the best use your evening "on your own". Also, while in DC, I strongly encourage you to use the metro system when possible. It's very easy to navigate and there's a metro station close to our hotel. Here's a link to the metro system: http://www.wmata.com/metrorail/systemmap.cfm
I've already mentioned the dress code in a previous email, here it is again:
Plane/travel: casual attire
Monday evening, Oct. 6th: business casual
Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday: business attire
Friday evening, Oct. 1oth: jeans/business casual
Saturday, Sunday, Monday: jeans/business casual
Tuesday: business casual
Wednesday: business casual
Thursday: travel attire
While in DC, we'll be staying at the Holiday Inn Capitol: http://www.hicapitoldc.com/
In Des Moines, we'll be at the Downtown Marriott Des Moines: http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/dsmia-des-moines-marriott-downtown/
In Chicago, we'll be at the Doubletree Magnificent Mile: http://www.doubletreemagmile.com/
Rochelle is going to be sending an email with podcast suggestions and also a clip of one of our DC speakers who was recently on "Lou Dobbs Tonight".
I took a very brief trip last week to IA and IL and while driving across the hills of Iowa, I thought to myself what a great opportunity this trip will be to see another part of the country and another part of agriculture. I am looking forward this national seminar experience!
Please let me know if you have any questions. More information will be forthcoming. For those of your classmates who are not "bloggers", you may want to prod them to check this out!
Hannah
While in DC, we'll be staying at the Holiday Inn Capitol: http://www.hicapitoldc.com/
In Des Moines, we'll be at the Downtown Marriott Des Moines: http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/dsmia-des-moines-marriott-downtown/
In Chicago, we'll be at the Doubletree Magnificent Mile: http://www.doubletreemagmile.com/
Rochelle is going to be sending an email with podcast suggestions and also a clip of one of our DC speakers who was recently on "Lou Dobbs Tonight".
I took a very brief trip last week to IA and IL and while driving across the hills of Iowa, I thought to myself what a great opportunity this trip will be to see another part of the country and another part of agriculture. I am looking forward this national seminar experience!
Please let me know if you have any questions. More information will be forthcoming. For those of your classmates who are not "bloggers", you may want to prod them to check this out!
Hannah
2 comments:
I would like to thank you in advance for everything you, Rochelle and Janice are doing for this program. :)
One thing I would add is to bring comfortable walking shoes if you plan to do a lot of walking in D.C.
Looking forward to it!
Post a Comment