Thursday, February 4, 2010

"Someday" thinking


I would love to see the Grand Canyon and Yellowstone National Park, and someday I will. And New England, too ... someday. Plus I have a whole bookcase of cookbooks with recipes I've earmarked that I'm planning to cook. Someday.


Are you a "someday thinker," as I tend to be? I've realized recently that I can't really afford to have that mindset. A program I'm participating in, "One Month to Live," (http://www.onemonthtolive.com/), points out that the things we think are important are the things we should be spending our time on. (And my health is just fine, thank you.) Yes, the car has to be maintained, we should be working out, and oh yes - there are bills to pay. But we need to be living life deliberately, and we need to be doing it now.


That goes to every facet of our life, including our responsibilities as leaders. We talked a lot about what's next for us as WLI alumni once the Class VII program ended. Florida agriculture can't afford for us to be involved someday. What's on your list of leadership "somedays," and what's stopping you from getting started now?

2 comments:

Jorge Abreu said...

Lisa,

I started my someday with focusing on myself. It may sound selfish...but I have somewhat neglected me and those around me. Someday I hope to be a voice for ag. I want to be the one at the table bringing both sides together to make things work. I want people to understand agriculture and appreciate it. I know how I am going to do it too...with my friends. It isn't me...it is we. We can and will do anything.

Laurie H said...

Lisa: You are so right. We definitely cannot afford to wait for "someday". I have really begun to focus on this through the last year and like Jorge I believe it begins with taking care of ourselves. As leaders we are always focusing on what needs to change, who needs to do what, what time do we need to be where, what is best for the company? In the mean time we are not thinking about how am I feeling?, when did I have a physical?, What time am I going to the gym?. We are also putting ourselves and our families on the back burner. One of the saddest things I ever heard was a statement made by a fortune 500 company president in an annual report speech. He said, "I never missed a board meeting, but I never made a little league game. This is one of my regrets". We need to make sure we are not like him.
Thanks for the info and I am going to check out that website and course.